Top of Their Games

0

A big change in Davidson’s coaching ranks took place this past spring, as women’s tennis Head Coach Caroline Price and men’s cross country and track and field Head Coach Gary Andrew announced their retirements. Price and Andrew were the longest tenured active coaches at Davidson.

Caroline Price, Women’s Tennis

Price began her exemplary tenure at Davidson in 1983. Over the past 32 years, her career has been filled with numerous highlights. She guided the Wildcats to the NCAA Division III National Championship match twice, and brought home the 1984 national championship—the only national championship title ever earned by a Davidson athletic team. The following year, Price guided the ’Cats back to the championship match on their way to a school-record 21 wins.

“Davidson is a special and unique place—the place and history, and most notably the people,” said Price. “It was a privilege to spend my coaching career here, a place where I believe the philosophy of intercollegiate athletics is kept in proper perspective. You get a great education, while doing things you love. When I arrived on campus decades ago, I sensed bright futures, and now as I leave, I continue to see bright futures. Davidson is special, and I want to again thank the school and athletic administration for the opportunity to coach the Wildcats.”

Among active Davidson coaches, Price has one of the highest overall winning percentages (.584) of any women’s team. A three-time SoCon Coach of the Year (’94, ’96, ’02), Price concludes her storied coaching career with 422 wins, fourth-most all-time in Davidson athletic history behind hall of fame men’s tennis coach Jeff Frank (541), men’s basketball coach Bob McKillop (472) and baseball coach Dick Cooke (465).

Gary Andrew, Track and Field

Andrew turned in nearly 29 years of dedicated service to the track program.

When Andrew arrived at Davidson in 1986, he was the lone coach on staff for the men’s and women’s cross country and track and field teams, and he guided both the men’s and women’s teams through 1992. Andrew went on to earn three conference Coach of the Year awards.

Andrew’s cross country teams placed in the top five at the SoCon Championships in each of the last five years, including program-best runner-up finishes in 2009 and 2011.

In track and field, 41 of the 62 indoor and outdoor records kept at Davidson were set during Andrew’s tenure, including 17 since 2012, and a total of 19 individual SoCon Champions were crowned. The Wildcats had not seen the podium as a team at the outdoor SoCon Championships, or even cracked the top five since 1972, until Andrew guided the ’Cats to back-to-back third-place finishes in 2006 and 2007. The ’Cats saw a similar renaissance indoors, cracking the top five in 2006 for the first time since a fourth-place finish in 1971, and finishing a program-best third in 2007.

Runners also qualified strictly on time for the outdoor NCAA Regionals in each of the past two seasons—a program first.

“I will leave with many happy memories, but what I cherish the most is the friendships I have made with the Davidson student-athletes, staff and faculty,” said Andrew. “The athletes I have coached over the years are part of my extended family and they mean a great deal to me.”

Andrew plans on traveling and learning the guitar in his newly found free time, but will continue to live in Davidson and cheer on the Wildcats.

—by Gavin McFarlin and Mark Brumbaugh