Scholarship Honors African American Experience at Davidson

0

First student benefits from alumni effort

Obai Kamara ’17 of Rockville, Md., was drawn to Davidson because his high school has many strong connections to the institution. Ultimately, the college’s financial aid options—The Davidson Trust in particular—made it his first choice.

“If I went to another school, I would have loans and would be paying a lot of money, and I don’t know if I would’ve been able to afford it, even in-state,” he said. “So when considering the quality of education at Davidson on top of the scholarship opportunities, it was a perfect situation. Here, I can focus on education, getting my degree and playing football.”

In the fall, Davidson named Kamara the first recipient of the Emergence Scholarship of The Davidson Trust.

“It’s cool that I’m leading the way,” said Kamara, whose favorite class is calculus, “and it’s definitely an honor to be the first scholar chosen.”

The Emergence Scholarship of The Davidson Trust was conceived by alumni Rusty Lindsey ’76 and Earl Wooten ’84 and was supported by conversations born out of ACE, Davidson’s Alumni of Color Engagement initiative. They wanted to honor the African American experience at Davidson in a meaningful and tangible way that would make the Davidson experience possible for others.

“I am happy that Obai is able to have the life-changing experience Davidson will provide, aided in part by the contributions of those who have come before him,” said Wooten. “Equally, I am proud of my fellow alumni who responded so generously to the call and have made this dream into a reality.”

The Davidson Trust makes it possible for talented students from all backgrounds to imagine coming to Davidson, and for graduates to plan for their futures based on their interests and passions. The program meets 100 percent of demonstrated financial need through grants and campus employment. For more information about the Emergence Scholarship of The Davidson Trust, contact Doug Mauney at domauney@davidson.edu or 704-894-2831.

Danielle Strickland concentrates on development-related stories, and she enjoys making connections with Davidson’s most engaged alumni and friends. She holds a bachelor’s degree in communication from James Madison University and a master’s in higher education leadership from the University of Arkansas. Thankfully, after seven years working as a Razorback, her red-heavy wardrobe allowed for a smooth transition to life as a Wildcat.