History, Nostalgia & Administrivia
A terquasquicentennial pop quiz
By John Syme
In honor of the Great Davidson Terquasquicentennial (1837–2012, you do the math), the good folks over at College Archives and Special Collections are offering up tidbits of “This Day in Davidson History” on their blog, “Around the D,”as well as on the “Davidson Encyclopedia” pages.
To whet your appetite for online adventure, here is a sampling from the cornucopia of knowledge in the Davidson College Archives and Special Collections pages.
Q: Why is “Around the D” called “Around the D”?
A: From the bygone expression, “I’ll see you around the D,” a reference to the semi-circular road that once ran from Main Street to the front of Chambers and back over to Main on the other side.
Q: The original Chambers Building, named for Mr. Maxwell Chambers of Salisbury, was built with funds bequeathed at his death in 1855. In 1852, he made a donation for a professorship in what department?
A: Chemistry. The third and fourth holders of the “Chemistry, Minerology and Geology” professorship were father and son William Joseph Martin, Sr., and William Joseph Martin, Jr. The elder Martin was Chambers Professor from 1870 to 1896, the younger from 1896 to 1912. Both men also served as college president, the father as acting president for one year and the son as president from 1912 to 1929.
Q: Mary Beatty’s A History of Davidson College was published in 1988, preceded by Beatty’s town history in 1979 and college librarian Cornelia Shaw’s town history in 1923. What book will join this august historical company in 2012?
A: One Town, Many Voices: A History of Davidson, N.C., by College Archivist Jan Blodgett and Vail Professor of History Ralph Levering, publishes this spring.
Q: From earliest beginnings, “Physical Culture” has been important in the ethos of the college. By 1893, students had formed the Davidson College Athletic Association to finance teams. What is the main fundraising arm for Davidson’s NCAA Division I programs today?
A: The Davidson Athletic Foundation.
Q: In what year did the Board of Trustees first pledge Davidson to a future of affordable access, which finds expression in The Davidson Trust today?
A: The minutes from an 1841 meeting pledge to keep the Davidson opportunity “within the reach of many in our land, who could not otherwise obtain it.”
Q: Why did the Centennial Parade of 1937 get cancelled?
A: It rained for three days and the parade was never rescheduled. Members of the Class of 1937 were invited to campus for a terquasquicentennial celebration luncheon on March 20, 2012.
Q: What action did Davidson’s Civil War president, John Lycan Kirkpatrick, take to ensure that Davidson was one of only two Southern men’s schools to remain open during the war?
A: He opened a “prep” department when regular students were called away.
Q: In what year was the first “DCPC” completed on campus?
A: The first Davidson College Presbyterian Church was completed in 1885, the first year of the tenure of the Rev. Luther McKinnon. The current building dates to 1952.
Q: Future President Walter Lingle 1892 was knocked unconscious during a club game of what sport?
A: Football. Davidson played its first intercollegiate game in 1898. Two decades later, the “preachers” would become known as the Wildcats.
Q: How many lakefront acres did Duke Power donate to Davidson when Lake Norman formed, and in what year?
A: Lake Campus began with 109.6 raw, red clay mud bank acres in 1963. Q: What is the “peculiar institution”? A: Slavery is referred to as “the peculiar institution” in the title of the introductory installment of the video special production “Always Part of the Fabric: A look at the history of African American contributions to Davidson.” The final installment is titled “From Integration to Commitment to Diversity.”
Q: Where did Ovens Student Union stand before its demolition in 1972?
A: Ovens Student Union was built as Alumni Gymnasium in 1916–17, then remodeled in 1952 and expanded in 1963 before being torn down to make way for today’s E.H. Little Library.
Explore the College Archives and Special Collections pages, the Smith Rare Book Room, the Davidson Encyclopedia, and the “Around the D” blog at sites.davidson.edu/aroundthed/.
Leave a Response
You must be logged in to post a comment.