Dedicated on Nov. 15, 2015, the $13.3 million dollar, 50,000-square-foot space is Davidson’s first LEED Gold project
The Vance Athletic Center was made possible, in part, by a $4 million challenge gift from Samuel and Ann Ginn of Hillsborough, California, to honor Ann’s father, the late Harry L. Vance, Davidson College class of 1926.
Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council, LEED certification provides building owners and operators with a concise framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.
The enhancement to Baker Sports Complex, provides two practice courts for Davidson’s men’s and women’s basketball teams and the volleyball team. The additional gym space helped alleviate the growing needs of Davidson’s club and intramural programs, as well. Also located in the new center are coaches’ offices, administrative space, locker rooms, team rooms and film rooms for men’s and women’s basketball.