A Reason to Believe: Richard Fountain ’14

0

Fountain captures first pro title. Arguably the greatest golfer in Davidson history, Richard Fountain ’14 has been competing on the eGolf Gateway Tour the last two years and captured his first career title at the 2015 Spring Creek Classic in June.

Richard FountainThe eGolf Gateway Tour, formerly known as the Tarheel Tour, is a third-level professional tour based in Charlotte.

“This is huge,” said Fountain following the win. “It makes me believe I can win out here, because there are so many good players in the field. It just gives me a lot of confidence.”

The $12,000 first-place prize pushed Fountain’s 2015 earnings into the top-20 on the tour’s season-long money list. Following another top-10 finish at the Cabarrus Classic, Fountain climbed to 15th with six events remaining.

“This year my biggest goal on the eGolf Tour was to win at least one tournament and compete in several others. With that, I believe I would be able to finish high on the money list, which would give me the confidence heading into Q-School that I can compete with anyone and at the next level.”

Now in his second year as a member of the local tour, Fountain has appeared in 22 events, made 18 cuts and posted eight top-10 finishes.

Fountain is just one of two Wildcat golfers to compete in three NCAA tournaments. In addition to claiming the 2011 Southern Conference individual title as a freshman, Fountain is the program’s only three-time all-league performer. He finished his career as the school record holder for stroke average, top-fives and top-10s.

Joey Beeler

Joey Beeler is the sports information director at Davidson College where he previously served as an assistant from 2005-08. Prior to rejoining the Davidson staff, Beeler spent four years as the assistant athletic director for athletic communications at Radford University in Radford, Va.